Oil and Gas Titles and Transactions
Oil and Gas Ventures Begin, and Sometimes End, with Title
Beginning at the turn of the twentieth century when the Nellie Johnstone No.1 well began to flow near what is now Bartlesville, Oklahoma, the mineral estate and fee estate increasingly were severed from one another, many thousands of shallow oil and gas wells were drilled - some still producing - and at least as many leasehold deals were done. Further, most of this activity was occurring in what formerly was known as Indian Territory. These considerations all contribute to render mineral title in Oklahoma very complex. Our lawyers are experienced examiners familiar with the complexities inherent in Oklahoma mineral title. Our clients' reliance on our experience and knowledge has caused Munson & McMillin to have an active oil and gas title examination practice, including:
- Drilling title opinions;
- Division order title opinions;
- Acquisition title opinions;
- Mortgage title opinions; and
- Drafting and obtaining title curative documents.
Michael J. McMillin is the practice area lead of our Titles and Transactions practice. For more information, please contact Michael at email@example.com or call our office.
Oil and Gas Litigation
Counseling Clients Through Industry-Related Disputes
Munson & McMillin attorneys have helped a wide variety of oil and gas industry participants achieve a successful resolution to their business disputes. We are resolute in advocating for our clients and experienced in litigating oil and gas matters, including:
- Competing claims of ownership;
- Oil and gas lease cancellations;
- Enforcement of implied covenants;
- Operating agreement and joint interest billing disputes;
- Operator liens and removal;
- Rights of ingress and surface damage disputes;
- Oil and gas lease brokerage issues; and
- Breach of industry-related contracts.
Ronald R. Tracy is the practice area lead of our Oil and Gas Litigation practice. For more information, please contact Ron at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office.
The Business of America is Business, But Business Does Not Always Go Smoothly
When a business faces a dispute, legal counsel is often needed before, during, and after the matter reaches a courtroom. Attorneys at Munson & McMillin aim to counsel and advocate for clients in business litigation matters in a manner suited to best serve the client’s long-term interests. Munson & McMillin attorneys have broad experience in business litigation in state and federal court both at the trial and appellate levels, including:
- Breach of contract;
- Breach of fiduciary duty;
- Business torts; and
- Litigation defense for employers.
Ronald R. Tracy is the practice area lead of our Business Litigation practice. For more information, please contact Ron at email@example.com or call our office.
Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
Munson & McMillin attorneys represent debtors and creditors in bankruptcy matters. Additionally, our attorneys have experience in the negotiation and preparation of instruments in financially distressed situations including letters of credit, inter-creditor agreements, debtor-in-possession financing agreements, loan modification agreements, workout agreements, negotiable instruments, collateral liquidation agreements, sale leaseback agreements, and factoring agreements.
- Representation of debtors in both Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy proceedings;
- Representation of all parties in non-bankruptcy insolvency matters including receiverships;
- Representation of debtors-in-possession and creditors in Chapter 11 reorganization proceedings; and
- Representation of creditors both within and outside of bankruptcy.
Bryson J. Williams is the practice area lead of our Bankruptcy and Creditor's Rights practice. For more information, please contact Bryson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office.
Trusts and Estates
Of Two Things You Can Be Certain; Death and Taxes.
Munson & McMillin has an active estate planning, probate, and family business practice. Our attorneys work closely with clients to develop an individualized strategy that maximizes their legacy, financially and otherwise. In addition, our attorneys assist clients in administering estates of all sizes and complexities, from small mineral interests to large estates with many and varied assets. Munson & McMillin attorneys have been retained to resolve issues involving wills, trusts, estates, and family businesses, including:
- Will contests;
- Personal representative disputes;
- Breaches of fiduciary duty; and
- Funding and removing property from trusts and family businesses.
Tiffany Peterson is the practice area lead of our Trusts and Estates practice. For more information, please contact Tiffany at email@example.com or call our office.
Since the passage of SQ 788, the legalization of medical marijuana in Oklahoma has created a booming environment for individuals with a desire to create a successful business in the cannabis industry. While the passage of SQ 788 created new business opportunities, it also created various legal uncertainties, compliance issues, and challenges. Munson & McMillin's cannabis group is focused on assisting our clients with a wide array of legal services and guidance that is required to ensure the growth and sustainability associated with the emerging industry. These services include areas such as:
- Corporate/Business Formation and Structuring;
- Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority Application, Licensing and Registration;
- Real Estate and Zoning;
- Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority Regulatory Compliance;
- Banking Regulatory and Compliance;
- Acquisitions and Divestitures;
- Employer/Employee Agreements, Contracts and Non-Disclosure Agreements;
- Commercial Contracts;
- Risk Management;
- Litigation and Disputes; and
Vijay Madduri is the practice area lead of our Cannabis law practice. For more information, call our offices or contact Vijay Madduri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marijuana, exclusive of hemp, is recognized as a Schedule I drug. As such, it is illegal under federal law to possess and sell marijuana. The Professional Rules of Conduct preclude a lawyer from counseling a client to engage, or assist a client, in conduct that violates the law; however, a lawyer may discuss the legal consequences of any proposed course of conduct with a client and may counsel or assist a client to make a good faith effort to determine the validity, scope, or meaning or application of the law. Under federal law, certain financial transactions connected to unlawful activity may be illegal. This includes transferring monetary instruments or funds with the intent to promote the carrying on of specified unlawful activity, including the manufacture, importation, sale or distribution of a controlled substance.With respect to our Oklahoma clients, the Oklahoma Bar Association has adopted rules which will apply to legal work that necessarily arises in connection with the legalization of medical marijuana which permits lawyers to represent clients in the cannabis business as long as the client is in compliance with state law. Munson & McMillin will agree to provide medical marijuana services in pursuit of state licenses provided the medical marijuana business strictly complies with Oklahoma laws and regulations regarding the production and sale of medical marijuana.
Real Estate Law
Real Estate Law
Buy Land, They Ain’t Making Any More of It
Attorneys at Munson & McMillin have experience representing clients in a variety of real estate matters and will use that experience to assist you in negotiating and completing your transaction as well as resolving any issues that may arise in your transaction. We counsel clients and offer solutions to a wide variety of residential and commercial real estate and surface-title issues, including:
- Determinations of heirship;
- Partition and quiet title actions;
- Probate and guardianship sales;
- Title examination and opinions of title;
- Negotiating title insurance coverage and endorsements;
- Resolution and curative work to satisfy title insurance requirements;
- Vacations of plats, streets, and alleyways; and
- Negotiating and drafting easements, road maintenance agreements, and mortgages.
Michael J. McMillin is the practice area lead of our Real Estate practice. For more information, please contact Michael at email@example.com or call our office.